Our mission is to build upon our heritage and collectively support community initiatives that raise literacy levels across the lifespan
in Onondaga County. Solving the problem of low literacy gets at the root of educational, social and economic issues in a way that no
single subject does.
Over 200 community members have met in extensive planning sessions to establish community literacy indicators and priority recommendations
for achieving with a shared vision of "100% Literacy through 100% Community Engagement." Based upon our Community Literacy Plan, we are
now working to develop action teams, baseline measures, targets and collaborative strategies to reach our community literacy outcome
It's time for a collective approach to literacy solutions and, ultimately, measurable systemic change. Working together we can truly
honor our legacy of literacy and, in
turn, create a thriving community of life-long learners. Your input and suggestions are most welcome!
Our Vision is 100% Literacy through 100% Community Engagement.
Our Mission, as the birthplace of the modern literacy movement, is to collectively build and support community initiatives that improve
literacy levels across the lifespan in Onondaga County.
- Advocating for Literacy
- Building Partnerships
- Providing Resources & Building Capacity
- Evaluating our Work & Reporting Progress
- Keeping the Community Informed
COMMUNITY LITERACY OUTCOME INDICATORS:
- Increased number of incoming kindergarteners prepared for school.
- Increased number of K-12 students meeting proficiency standards on the NYS English and Language Arts (ELA) assessment.
- Increased high school graduation rates.
- Increased number of adult learners who make educational gain.
- Increased number of children who read or are read to daily.
- Increased number of literacy and community programs using instructional practices based on scientifically based
- Increased funding and community support for literacy-related programs and services.
- Increased number of adult learners entering or retaining employment.
Partners & Links:
Leadership Council and Managing Partners*
- Family Literacy Alliance of Greater Syracuse (FLAGS)
- Health Literacy Network
- Financial Literacy Network
- Adult Learners Network